How to Fix Overheated Shredder
Do you have a paper shredder that gets overheated after shredding, and you have to wait until it cools down. This article is for you. It will give you an answer, how to fix overheated shredder.
Paper shredder is an important tool to have in your office or home. It will allow you to get rid of all your unwanted documents in a couple of minutes without identity threats. There are a number of companies with different brands who sales paper shredder.
But most of the paper shredder user has a common complaint about how to fix overheated shredder. To solve this problem, let’s understand why it is overheated? There are several points which I have to cover so bear with me.
Why does my shredder overheat?
To answer this let’s see, How do paper shredders work? When we start paper shredder, its sensor gets started and check for a paper to shred. When we throw papers in its shredding tray the sensor get signal to start shredding motor.
The motor will start rotating at predefined speed and shred the paper. This is the point where paper shredder generates heat. More you shred more heat can be generated, and a safety sensor which monitors shredding motor’s heat, get activated.
Overheating safety sensor: The duty of overheating safety sensor is to monitor the heat level of the motor, to prevent permanent damage.
So, when we shred continuously on paper shredder the motor gets overheated, for the safety and prevent damage to the motor it stops working until it cools down.
Quality of Paper Shredder Machine
Overheating is the most common issue with “cheap” shredders. These shredders are designed for light use. If you shred more than a few minutes it gets overheated. We have read many low-cost shredder’s manuals. In which it is mentioned that it has to be left off for 30 to 60 minutes after continuous use of 3 to 15 minutes.
In the following table, we have selected the best paper shredders for home and small office. You can check the continuous run time and cooling period of the shredders. So you can get the idea.
Continuous Duty Motor
If the paper shredder is for office use or you have heavy usage of shredder on a regular basis. Cheap low shedding period (i.e. 3 to 15 Minutes continues shredding) shredder won’t work for you. Because in business operation can’t wait 30 to 60 minutes for cooling time. Most of the businesses need continuously running paper shredder that can run with less cooling time requirement.
Most of the businesses use a paper shredder having continuous duty motor. This type of motor is thermally protected. It is designed to disappear heat of the motor very quickly and allow the shredder to continue shredding. A shredder with a continuous-duty motor installed in it doesn’t need to be turned off for cooling down the motor.
How to fix overheated shredder
- The first solution is our practice of shredding. We keep piling of papers for shredding until it becomes really big. After that, we start shredding continuously and expect from shredder to shred all documents without getting overheating. In this scenario shredder is not the problem, our practice of shredding is wrong.
- Shred periodically so that each time the number of papers are less and the shredding time also according to the paper shredder’s capacity.
- Check the user manual of your paper shredder and see the duty cycle. What is the continuous-time shredding time recommended for your shredder? If you don’t find your paper shredder manual comment below we will help you to find the time recommended for your shredder.
- You should turn off your shredder and unplug it after every use. By this way, it will not accidentally start the paper shredder and continue to heat up after a shredding.
- It is advisable to wait even longer than the minimum cooling cycle. For example, if your paper shredder cooling cycle is for 30 minutes mentioned in it’s manual. Wait for 45 to 60 minutes to let the motor cool down. It will increase the efficiency of the paper shredder and it will work more during the shredding session.
- When paper shredder is turned off to cool its motor. Remove any obstacles in shredder which can slow down the cooling process of your paper shredder.
These are the most common solution which can be helpful to you to fix overheated shredder. Basically, you have to understand the machine first which type of motor is used in your paper shredder. What is the shredding time slot is suggested in the manual? And the most important is your shredding practice, it means that how much shredding work does you piled and start shredding.
I hope you have found useful to read this article. If you have any suggestions or questions feel free to ask in the comments. I will be happy to help you.