Fellowes Powershred 73Ci Awesome 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper Shredder Review
With the Fellowes Powershred 73Ci, you can shred from paper, staples, to discs. The machine offers you touch-screen control with safety features and is simple to use.
The filling rate is 12-sheets of paper, but loading more can lead to overload warning. If you need a personal shredder to use in the home office or sole propriety, this is the one to have.
For the home, the Fellowes Powershred 73Ci takes up little space. The unit measures 19.4-inches high and is 15.5-inches wide with a depth of 10.4-inches.
The equipment stands on four wheels making it easier to move from one room to another. The top-feed slot has a dimension of 9-inches, and the paper ends up in the 6-gallon bin.
The wastebasket pulls out for emptying making your work simpler. There is a touch screen placed below the slot displaying three essential buttons.
These switches are the start, reverse, and forward modes. For safety, it has a SafeSense Technology that prevents the shredder from working if there are any obstructions in the way.
Separately it has an on/off switch, and the blue control panel comes with reverse, on/off, forward, bin full, and bin open indicator lights.
Furthermore, the office equipment informs you when it overheats and needs cooling down time. The rated speed is ten feet per minute and will shred for ten minutes before it needs to cool down for 20-minutes.
Further, the unit cuts paper to 0.125 x 2.3-inches and suitable for destroying your sensitive documents.
Ease of Use
Once you feed paper through the slot, the light displays yellow and becomes green once filled. However, if you do happen to overfill it with more than 12-sheets, it turns red.
With the automatic feed the shredder pulls through the paper, and once your hand touches the feed slot, it stops shredding.
You can use the crosscut shredder to chew through discs, paper clips, staples, and paper. Alternatively, you can use it to shred your credit cards to keep them from handing up in inquisitive people’s hands.
The machine has an average noise level but remains noisy when destroying CDs.
If ever the shredder jams, the forward and reverse buttons work well. However, if you want it to remain jam-free keep feeding it with the advertised number and keep your eye on the red warning light.
When the machine is off the control panel does not display at all.
You receive the unit partially assembled and need to install the casters yourself, but the manual offers you simple graphics to follow.
Another added benefit is the energy saving design that switches the device off after two minutes of non-use. Then again, the unit advises you with an auto-clean infrared sensor to clean the paper slot.
It is suggested to oil the blades after emptying the bin to keep the office machine in tiptop shape,
- Made with SafeSense Technology that prevents hands from injury during use
- Offers you energy saving functions and switches off after two minutes of nonuse
- Comes with a backlit touch screen display comprising of different important indicator lights
- Measures 21.25 (H) x 15.50 (W) x 11.31-inches (D)
- Made with crosscut blade and feeds through 12-sheets per pass
- Cuts paper into 5/32″ x 1 1/2″ shreds and carries a security level of P-4
- Can use it for cutting discs, paper clips, staples, and paper
- One-year warranty on the products and 5-years on the cutter
- Designed with three levels of jam prevention and works continuously for up to 10-minutes with 20-minute cool down time
- Made with a pull-out bin and has four casters for maneuvering
Why Should You Buy It?
- Works fairly quiet but remains noisy when shredding discs
- Has wheels for moving around
- The touch screens illuminated when powered on
- The bin capacity is 6-gallon, and for home use it is perfect
- Designed with a spring-loaded mechanical sensor to judge the thickness of what you are shredding
- Can use it with a plastic bag but you will need to place it correctly for all the sensors to work
Why Not Buy
- Using the control panel is not intuitive and relies on touch points and hard to find in the dark to turn on
- Starts with a false start for not jamming that is good but takes a while before it shreds an item
Consumers are pleased with the Fellowes Powershred 73Ci crosscut shredder, but they do get frustrated with control panel and jamming prevention at times.
The machines performance is excellent but compared to the AmazonBasics 12-sheet micro-cut model it provides more security with the same capacity at a lesser price.
Users found the paper feed speed fast, but it does do a lot of thinking before it shreds anything. Further, the bin pulls out easily for emptying, and the wheels are smooth on any surface.
The list price of the Fellowes Powershred 73Ci is not the cheapest but remains an excellent shredder to have in a small home office environment.
You can use it shred nearly everything, and there is no need for removing staples or paper clips. However, one always needs paper clips if you think about it. The touch screen control offers you ease of use, and it is loaded with safety features.
Furthermore, the unit is simple to use and the speeds similar to other premium shredders available on the market. However, you will need to pay attention to overloading it and always keep an eye on the indicator lights.
For a personal shredder to use at home, the Powershred 73Ci is perfect, but you will need a lot of patience when using it.